[nagdu] guiding eyes application question

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 20 16:58:06 UTC 2009

Ron,
    You certainly seem to have misunderstood my message. Many of us have
"been around the block a few times", including you! I didn't mean this to be
a personal attack on you. The advantage that we - the organized blind - has
is our ability to call upon specific areas of expertise. Though most of us
on this list have been around quite a few blocks, chances are they have not
been around mine, yours, or the next person's! Each of us brings a different
perspective when we share the experiences we have had going around the
blocks we have gone around. Sometimes we hear of new problems and how they
have been solved. Often, though, we hear of old problems that show
themselves with different faces but the same behavior. When we can put our
collective energy together to solve the problems for individuals, we solve
the problem for everyone! When we use our collective power as consumers, we
have the ability to change society fundamentally.
    The issue of ownership is an important testimony to a school's
perspective on the capacity of blind people. The rationale used by schools
that do not provide ownership immediately upon graduation is definitely
flawed by paternalistic, custodial beliefs. They say, in part, "We do not
believe the blind, in general, have the ability to care for this animal."
The acceptance of this belief is justified by pointing to some very rare
instances in which a blind person abused their dogs. This justification is a
"Some"All" fallacy: Some blind people have abused their guide dogs; all
blind people abuse their dogs! Based upon this fallacy, guide dog schools
take on a paternal role of telling us what is "good for us" and how this
custodial policy makes sense! They hold power over us because they hold the
ownership of that which helps us maintain independence. If they own it, they
can take it away! If they take it away, they will take away my independence.
    Now, you work with chain saws, I believe, sculpting what must be huge
works of art! have you ever had anyone tell you you are at higher risk for
injury from those saws, knives, and other sharp instruments you use because
you are blind? You might cut your finger off with one of them because, for
God's sake, you are blind and might forget where your fingers are located!
You would think their concerns to be idiotic, given the fact that everyone -
even the sighted - have cut their fingers with a saw or a knife! Are the
blind at higher risk of cutting their fingers off than the sighted? After
all, the "Some-All" fallacy would illogically say: Some blind people have
cut their fingers off using a knife or saw; all blind people will cut their
fingers off if they use a knife or a saw!
    One school contends that their new regressive ownership policy is the
"way most schools are going"! That's not true, at all! The same school says
they have implemented this policy to protect against those deranged blind
people who might fly into a drunken rage  and kill their dog, citing the one
case in which this happened!
    Now, to be very clear about other information in this post! Guiding Eyes
is not the only school that does not transfer ownership upon graduation, so
my issue is not only with them, but all who maintain such a paternalistic
policy. Nor is The Seeing Eye the only school that demonstrates its belief
in the capacity of the blind to manage the care of their dogs without
interference - although they have done so since their inception as the first
guide dog training school in the world! yes, The Seeing Eye is a great
school, even though my dog is not from TSE, but yet another school that
grants ownership upon graduation!
    As I have already said, I have heard some pretty good arguments to
justify probationary periods and the retention of ownership; however, I have
not heard any that were not soundly refutable! If you would like to present
one or more and discuss these, this list is an excellent forum. If you
expect us to not refute them, this is not the appropriate forum! (smile)
    These things being said, I am concerned that you believe I do not allow
discussion of issues and comments that are contradictory to mine. I have
often heard it said that this is the reputation of the national Federation
of the blind: That we are not allowed to argue with the dictates of our
leaders. Those who believe that line have never been to an NFB meeting!
(smile)
    On the contrary, I welcome discussion of the topics in a non-threatening
environment! If anyone believes differently, they have not participated in
any of our meetings! You have, so I'm not sure where that comes from!
    At the same time, if you believe that constructive criticism and the
free exchange you claim I stifle makes you uncomfortable, perhaps you should
stick around and see where all of this brings you. I will say categorically
that the NFB philosophy has greatly enhanced my life, although I was
uncomfortable with it for nearly ten years. I will also say that my
attitudes and beliefs result in discussions with well-informed, intelligent
people about our philosophy from every direction. Those who know me well
know the fervor in which I will argue my point and the openness to consider
one that challenges my perspective! many on this list have contradicted me
very well! (smile) Thank you!
    If you decide to stick around, we will love to continue our discussion.
If you choose to leave, I would wish you God Speed and Best Wishes! If you
would like to continue to grow with us, stick around for the ride! Sometimes
it meanders, sometimes it's fast and furious, and at other times it is a
roler coaster! But we are all riding together!

Fraternally,
Marion