[nagdu] Drop-offs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 22 19:57:06 UTC 2009

Rebecca,

I've been asking myself the same question since my blindness reached the
point where I needed to ask for assistance.  /smile/  There are still days I
have to work myself over to ask a question or to ask for something I would
not have thought twice about a few years ago.  Irrational, I know, but there
it is.  Heck, I've caught myself being unable to say, "Please pass the salt"
at the dinner table.  Don't worry!  I'm pretty much over it. /smile/

In my experience, the reactions of others over simple requests can really
reinforce that reluctance to ask for anything.  When you're used to being
passed the salt when you ask for it in the socially prescribed way and end
up getting and angry rant -- and an absolute refusal of salt! -- instead...
One doesn't want to experience that again.  The salt is just an example off
the top of my head, but I have experienced those types of reactions before.
Very odd, especially since they invariable come from some total stranger I
haven't had the opportunity to offend or injure or even breathe on.  Good
grief!

People who do know me, just pass me the salt when I ask for it. /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney