[nagdu] Devil's advocate on ownership

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 27 09:15:59 UTC 2009

Sherri,
    The Lighthouses for the Blind, Division of Blind Services, and other
rehabilitation agencies operate on ublic funding, as well. Would you propose
that we allow them to treat us in an arbitrary manner without any
accountability to the consumers and their elected representatives? If the
Division of Blind Services had a Consumer Advisory Council and refused to
seat a member of the National Federation of the Blind because they believed
we would not agree with their positions, should they be allowed to do so?
    I am of the opinion that the primary stakeholder of a guide dog school
is the consumer, not the donors. Each school raises monies with the premise
that they are "helping the blind". Most even assert (though I disagree) that
they give the blind "dignity". If it were not for us, the blind, they would
not be providing their services. Furthermore, many dedicated graduates raise
funds for the programs from which they have graduated, so we are
stakeholders in that sense, as well!

Fraternally,
Marion Gwizdala-Schoch