[nagdu] Dave, Tammy, & Maddox Anspach

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 7 16:56:06 UTC 2009

Rebecca,
    I think this is an interesting discussion for us! It is all too often
assumed that only one person has the right to work a guide dog and that the
only ones able to make decisions about such things are the "professionals".
This flies in the face of our belief that blind people are competent to make
their own decisions about such things that affect their lives.
    Other than the information I have already shared, I do not feel it is my
place to offer more details. What I will say is that I lent her my dog's
harness that was made by Julie Johnson and Debbie feels maddox is a sound
guide dog for her.
    Debbie's retired guide dog stepped over the Rainbow Bridge a couple of
months ago, so she was in the process of applying for another dog. Since
Dave owned maddox and made no legal provisions for his care upon his death,
ownership transferred to his wife under Florida property laws. Tammy -
Dave's wife - then transferred ownership to Debbie.
    I, too, am happy that Maddox is still working because he enjoys it so
much. The other day, Merry and I were traveling through downtown Tampa and
Merry spotted Debbie and Maddox at a bus shelter. She said Maddox had his
ears perked up, looked very alert, and seemed to be content.

Fraternally yours,
Marion