[nagdu] Air Charters and the extra seat

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 15 18:27:08 UTC 2009

Dar,
    Everyone needs to know that, like Peter mentioned about airlines
asserting that larger people must purchase an additional seat because of FAA
or DOT requirements, some airlines have asserted to me that sitting in the
bulkhead with my dog is part of the Air Carrier Access Act. When I flew to
Dallas for last hear's convention , one flight attendant told me this. My
response was that it is not and she began to argue with me. I told her I was
the President of the National Association of Guide Dog Users and believed I
knew a little bit about the ACAA and was certain there were no such
regulations. I further told her that, if I were forced to move I would seek
the legal remedies available to me. About ten minutes into my flight, I
received an apology from the pilot , the lead Flight Attendant, and the one
that tried to make me move!
    The only concern i have with your message is that of "I sure would hate
to see the plane go down with so many blind persons on it though". I would
hate for a plane to go down with anyone on it! Why would blindness make it
any different?

Fraternally yours,
Marion