[nagdu] Air Charters and the extra seat

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 19 18:42:49 UTC 2009

Hello Dar and listers,

    I'll make a confession but please hear me out before opening fire.
Recall from my message on the Southwest COS Policy that they had this in
place since 2002 but weren't diligent about enforcing it until recently. As
recently as last year we flew on Southwest three times. No one insisted that
I purchess an extra seat leaving me to think that if the flight wasn't full
they figured I'd need the extra room for Johnny so why bother me about it.
This mislead me to believe that since I was traveling with Johnny. Although
I was a large passenger it wouldn't be a big deal. Nothing would be said and
we'd be on our way to Detroit without incident. How very wrong I was! Even
after all of this I could fly on Southwest again having only purchessed a
single seat and it would be smooth sailing without any talk about needing to
buy a second seat. This business is scary, and unpredictable again not
unlike the treatment blind air travelers occasionally receive from airline
personnel.

    Still worse some airlines don't post their customer of size policy
anywhere and large passengers have no way of knowing they need to purchess
an extra seat or fly in first class. Delta is one such carrier. The question
then becomes, "How do you know you need to purchess a second seat if you're
a large passenger if the airline itself doesn't post such information for
its customers to read and abide by?" Hopefully this matter will be addressed
in the Passenger's Bill of Rights legislation that is being resurrected due
to recent airline flubs. I sure hope it is!

Peter Donahue