[nagdu] Southwest Airlines and COS Again

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 20 21:56:25 UTC 2009

Hello Sherry and listers,

    I was in discussion with them all during the trip and for several days
afterwards. The only thing I got for my efforts was a refunded second set
fare which is good, but the frustration, public humiliation, and financial
problems caused by this incident left a bitter taste in both of our mouths.

    As it happens the person I traveled with is on this list and could
describe what she witnessed. Take it away Cindy.

 Upon arriving in Detroit I told one of the CROS I met that I had flown with
Southwest and was never told to purchess an extra seat and that I assumed
that it was due to my having Johnny with me. I figured that the ground
attendant and perhaps the supervisor on duty figured I needed the extra seat
space for the both of us and that it wasn't worth insisting on my needing to
buy the second seat as there were empty seats available on all of my
flights. She told me that providing the extra seat to give Johnny room to
lie without charging me for it was a courtesy given to disabled passengers
and that they could not be 100% sure that they would be able to do this on
my return flight. Since we sat in the bulkhead and Southwest's bulkheads are
quite roomy it wouldn't have mattered anyway. And since I was traveling with
another chapter member who is quite small she could have sat next to me to
permit another passenger to sit in the third seat in the row.

    I wish I had gotten that supervisor's name. I might as wellhave been
talking to the Godfather as he was rather insistent, harsh, demanding, and
insulting! It only needed for him to, "Make me an offer I couldn't refuse"
at gunpoint. Perhaps in the end it was the presence of Johnny that might
have made him think twice about insisting that I buy a second seat
round-trip but he made it plain that I would need to pay for the second seat
for my return flight.

    The CROS in Detroit were very nice and wanted to be helpful. They told
me that my return flights weren't full, but still encouraged me to purchess
the extra seat to insure that I would get on those flights with the other
chapter member I was flying with. They told me that neither return flight
was full and that I could take a chance on there being plenty of available
seats by default. By now I was too upset to chance anything and bought the
extra seat the next day.

Recall from my previous message that printing out the boarding pass for my
return flights was an adventure in itself.All of Southwest's computers in
Detroit went down and everyone was dumb-founded. Now one knew what to do to
get things back up and running. It took six ticket agents, two CROS, and
calls to Southwest's Headquarters to get everything workng again and print
out my boarding pass. The CROS could have reserved me a seat for the return
flight without my having to pay for it thus avoiding this mayhem and
possibly endangering passengers in the air. Had one or both flights been
full they coulb have offered me a seat on a later flight that still had
available seats without charge.

    By now even the Southwest Employees were getting scared.Several of them
kept askig me if I was all right. ONe of the CROS brought me some water. Her
assistant put her arms around me, began hugging me, and talking to me softly
assuring me that everything will be all right and that I'll get home okay.
After what seemed like an eternity my boarding passes were printed and we
were on the way through airport security and to the departure gate.

    After getting home I submitted a request for the refund of the second
seat. During the conversation I let the Southwest official I spoke with know
what happened, how I was treated, and that Southwest is now on our "Airline
of last resort" list.

    One more thing needs comment. As indicated previously Southwest has had
their Customer of Size Policy since 2002. They began enforcing it it more
vigorously due to increasing complaints from passengers on full flights. My
question would be, "When did they begin enforcing this policy more
agressively?" If the answer was in 2005 we flew with them in 2006, and on
three different occasions last year; one of which was right after Matry got
out of the hospitalwhen she had surgery before last year's national
convention. On all occasions I flew with my guide dog. At no time did
Southwest insist that I purchess an extra seat;It was this action that led
me to believe that although the COS policy was in place because I traveled
with a guide dog I need not worry about biing the extra seat and would not
be subject to this policy. Perhaps there are others who can tell a similar
story.

    Okay I've rambled on long enough. Sherry I hope this answers your
question. All the best for a great weekend.

Peter Donahue