[nagdu] dog corrections

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Aug 27 12:05:55 UTC 2009

I don't think it varies much between schools.  It definitely is different
for each dog, and also can depend on the situation.
When my current dog, Ben, is really distracted, it can take a good
two-handed yank on his chain collar to get him back on track.  Sometimes I
have to pull the collar up around his ears, which really does choke him
for a second when I jerk the leash.  But he knows that, and just pulling
the collar up puts him on his toes and makes him forget that fascinating
bush.
But, if he's only starting to be distracted, a hup-up or a sharper pfui
can get his focus back.
My previous dog, Echo, could almost always be corrected with a sharp word,
and not too sharp either.  Too much, and she'd fall apart for a little
while.
I use the thigh slap if the dog is pushing me too close to something on my
right side.
So part of learning to work with a new dog is learning what kind of
correction works best.  And learning to be a better handler involves
learning what to use in which situation, I think.

Tracy