[nagdu] dog corrections

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Thu Aug 27 19:18:49 UTC 2009

Hi,

I believe that another means of correction is the clicker though it's
principal is different than a leash correction its purpose is the same. I
agree with Tracy, the correction varies with the dog and it also differs
with the situation. If your dog has just gone through a pretty difficult
area and handled it nicely a firm, but quiet "knock it off" or "no" will
probably do the trick. If there's an especially smelly area that the dog
just won't give up on, you might have to be more firm. I was trained that
the dog got two tries with verbal correction before I should resort to a
leash correction, and then the big "pfui" word should be used. That word, by
the way, is uniquely Seeing Eye. Even though my lab can be hard headed I
rarely have to use a leash correction, but the big "pfui" word usually gets
a reaction. I have never used a clicker to show proper behavior, but I have
found that getting the dog to do what you want and praising them
enthusiastically does as much if not more good than a harsh correction. Of
course, it depends on the situation, and the infraction. If I'm run into
something because she was sniffing, she'll get a leash correction if it's a
hard bump or something dangerous.

Joy with Belle, who says, she's really a very good girl and never means to
do anything bad.