[nagdu] The Requirement of a Harness

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sun Aug 30 15:03:32 UTC 2009

Marion,

*let's consider our stays in hotels. During convention, I always give my dog
a day
off in the middle of the convention. However, our policy requires us to not
leave our dog unattended in the rooms. Therefore, I allow my dog to
accompany me out of harness. From your perspective, would this be unethical?
*
For me this is not something I would do.  When I went to convention with
Belle I did give her time off, but I did have her harness on while I used my
cane and took her along on leash.

*suppose I want to relieve my
dog. Should I be required to harness my dog to take her out if I do not wish
to work her? *
Again for me it would depend on where I was, how far it was to the place to
relieve her and what I would have to go through to get there.  At a large,
no pets hotel, with a long way to go to get outside, yes I would probably
put the harness on whether or not I was working her or using my cane.

*And, if while I am out, I decide to stop into the restaurant to
get a couple of cups of coffee to take back to my room for merry and me,
should I be restricted from entering into the restaurant if my dog is not in
harness? *
Restricted, I don't know.  Again I would not be comfortable taking my guide
dog into a restaurant out of harness.
*Does my dog pose any greater threat to those in the restaurant if
she is not in harness?*
No, not at all.  But I don't think that is the issue.

*    While I am at work and the dog is lying under my desk, should I be
required to keep my dog in harness to satisfy some ethical consideration? *
no.  That is your space.

*Some schools and even more users train their dogs to guide on leash without
the harness.  Again, if I am at work and wish to get a drink or step outside
for some fresh air, should I be required to put the harness on my dog?*
Required? no, I don't think so, but again I think I would put the harness on
to do these things.  I also teach my dogs to leash guide, but even if I am
using leash guiding in a public situation, I still have the dog in harness.

I don't think it's an easy distinction to make, when to put on the harness
and when not to.  I think Ann Edie said it all better than I could ever
explain in her post from last week or the week before.  I don't think that
we should be required to have our dogs in harness in particular situations.
I do think we need to make every effort to make sure that the public knows
that our guide dogs are guide dogs.  I think this is best done by having
them wear their harnesses.  Incidentally I also think that other types of
service dogs should wear a vest or other identifying equipment, not because
it is required, but because it is an easy way to identify them as service
dogs.   It's like a name tag.  Sure people can do a job without a name tag,
but doesn't it make things easier for the public when you can be easily
identified?

I definitely don't think we need more rules about when or where or how to
handle our guide dogs, but at the same time I think we need to do everything
in our power to help the public understand what is what so that no one feels
that more rules are in order.

Of course this is JMHO
Julie