[nagdu] Fw: [buddy-l] A very bad legislative effort

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 30 17:36:43 UTC 2009

Steve,

I agree!

Also, service dogs in training are already covered in the ADA and (I think)
FHA.  As an owner-trainer, I had the same rights I do as a handler.  Also,
the same responsibilities.  Including the responsibility for my own safety,
her safety and that of others.

Someone mentioned socialization apart from training...  For a service
animal, socialization *is* pat of the training.  True, you do a lot of
ground work and obedience and exposure to people, kids, critters, everybody
and everything you can while the dog is young.  But sooner or later, you
have to take your pup into the milieus in which it will be working as an
adult.  A lot of those milieux are pretty high stimulus, let me tell you!
But the dog needs to learn to walk by the meat counter at the grocery store
without trying to snag a snack along the way!  There are some early training
techniques I'm going to use next time to cut down on potential scavenging,
but a dog is still a dog.  /smile/

Anyway, with Mitzi I did what the guide dog schools do:  I used PR when it
was time to take my wild and woolly one into the stores in our neighborhood.
I would explain that I was training her, that I needed to work with her in
stores, and I assured them that I would take her out immediately if she got
out of hand and would pay for any damage.  It was a ridiculously
dog-friendly neighborhood, which helped.  /grin/  The fact that my little
beast had *no* training until she came to me at the age of 7 months didn't!
Next time, I am starting with a baby puppy so I can start civilizing it
while it's young and impressionable.  /smile/

Still, we worked on it together so that she could learn to deal with the
overstimulation of it all, and now she's an old pro who can take me shopping
and dining and traveling without a hitch.  Well, I still feel a bit nervous
about that scavenging nose in restaurants, but it seems to be staying where
it belongs!  Actually, it's never gotten too far out of bounds, but I know
my dog!  It used to terrify me that I would have to buy someone's meal
because my dog tried to help herself to it.  I would just have died if that
had happened!  /grin/

Anyway, I just say "no!" to legislatively required certification, especially
when it comes to service animals for the disabled.  The whole issue is just
too fraught, and the people it is meant to protect will be the ones who get
the short end of the stick!

As for unscrupulous, unqualified trainers of service dogs for others....
Well, changing the access laws to require that they show certification to
take a trainee on a bus will just mean they don't train the dogs to travel,
right?  If someone is going to bilk a distressed clientele to begin with,
they can't be too long on character or concern for others.  Or is that just
my prejudices showing?

Tami Smith-Kinne