[nagdu] poodles/labradoodles

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Feb 3 13:24:48 UTC 2009

Leader, Pilot, and GDF have all trained some poodles, I believe.  GDB also
gave them a go, but only did a couple.
I gather they have been problematic.  I've heard of more than one with
aggression problems that made it necessary to retire the dog.  This really
surprises me, as I grew up with poodles, and they were wonderful, stable
creatures, easy to train and easy to live with.  Maybe something in poodle
nature makes them more prone to stress, when asked to think, rather than
obey?  Or maybe trainers used to labs and shepherds are making some
fundamental mistake with poodles?
But I'd love a poodle.  If offered one as a guide, I'd take it and take my
chances.  But that's not too likely--they're pretty rare.  So maybe some
day I'll just have to get me a standard poodle for a pet.  The
owner-trainer route is much too much for me.
Tracy