[nagdu] Dog Breeds

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 5 21:49:14 UTC 2009

Nicole,

Too true!  All of the pitbulls I know are sweet, sweet dogs, very
well-mannered and well-behaved, who play very well with others.  Because
that's how they've been raised, and most of them have been bred for the
positive temperament traits of the breed and away from the aggressive
strain.

Pitbull owners do tell me (disgustedly) that there are still breeders who
select specifically for aggression.  Scary thought!  And, of course, there
are too many people who will get themselves a big ol' pit 'cause they want
to look tough -- and will "toughen it up" in their rearing of it without
bothering with any sort of proper training and socialization.  If you read
between the lines -- or even pay attention to detail -- in reports of pit
bull attacks, it is almost always these dogs who get out and go after the
first thing (cat, smaller dog, bigger dog, child, sweet little old lady...)
they see.

It's the pitbull size and power, coupled with that death grip you mentioned,
along with a mouth capable of engulfing entire limbs and bodies, that make
those attacks so horrific.  After all, that distinctive physiology --
including the big, massively muscled head and neck -- were designed for
battle with bulls.  Also large, powerful animals, generally outweighing even
a good-sized modern pit by a factor of 15 or more.  So an out of control pit
bull will wreak a lot of havoc once it gets going, and it is almost
impossible to stop.  Sad.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the ordinances against that specific
breed, since they make no distinction between good and bad owners.  Frankly,
I think the law needs to be tougher and more well-enforced against
irresponsible dog owners of any breed.  But that's another subject.  Still,
we've been disrupted more often by small dog attacks than by any big bad
breed (the close calls have not been by pits, but they have been scary).  Of
course, an aggressive chihuahua or minpin is easily contained by its leash
and can just be dragged along by the leash-holder while it carries on
attacking from the end of its leash.  Still!  If one manages to connect with
my guide dog's legs, my dog will live but be out of commission for a time,
and I will have vet bills, etc., etc.

As for a pitbull guide dog....  I just don't know what to think.  My gut
reaction is a big "no."  No matter if it's the most angelic creature ever to
walk the face of the earth, you're going to have a public relations
nightmare wherever you go.  Who needs it?  Then again, while I've come to be
rather fond of the members of the breed I've come to know, I wouldn't even
have one for a pet.  That's a lot of dog management and a lot of risk if
something goes wrong.

Tami Smith-Kinney