[nagdu] Dog Breeds

Julie J. jlcrane at alltel.net
Tue Feb 3 19:32:13 UTC 2009

I have never had two dogs of the same breed, so I find it difficult to
compare how individuals vary within a breed.

On to "self training".  Most people who train their own service dogs call it
*owner training* since it is the owner doing the training.  The dog does not
train itself.

I have very mixed feelings about using breeds such as the pit bull as
service dogs.  I do not, however, believe that bans on particular breeds is
the answer.  It is not the breed that is the problem.  It is the behavior of
the individual dog.  Much stricter leash laws and consequences to owners who
allow their dog to run loose or to bite others would be more productive. IMO

The only dogs I have ever been aggressively bitten by are a Beagle and a
Chihuahua/Dachshund mix.  The pit bulls and other *dangerous* dogs I have
known have been very well mannered, affectionate and very pleasant to be
around.

My motto is: "it's the deed not the breed"

JMHO
Julie