[nagdu] tall dogs was Dog Breeds

Julie J. jlcrane at alltel.net
Mon Feb 9 22:14:25 UTC 2009

I've never worked a dog shorter than 24 inches, so I can't say if I would
have problems with my balance with a small dog.  I can most definitely say
that the taller height of Monty is much, much more comfortable for me,
physically.  I can't even put my finger on it exactly to be able to describe
the difference.

And like I said before I live in a very small town in a rural community.
There are no busses, subways or anything like that here.   I do a lot more
travel in rough terrain than I suppose the average guide dog user does.  I
find with a bigger dog that if I step awkwardly or stumble and inadvertently
pull the harness handle sideways, I am not pulling my dog off balance.

It's just what I like and what works for me.  I can definitely see the
benefits of working a smaller dog.
JMHO
Julie