[nagdu] Welcome Haben

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Mon Feb 9 22:52:09 UTC 2009

Hi Haben,
There is no web page for Paws That Heal.  We are a 3 year old program that
is run out of the Health & Wellness Department for the Naval Medical Center
of San Diego.  The program manager is their Diabetes Instructor. She is
visually impaired with a guide dog and she started the program after an
encounter in the elevator with a Wounded Warrior in her building.  The
servicemember had a profound stutter and it took him five minutes to stutter
out, "May I pet your dog?"  My friend - the instructor - allowed him to pet
her dog and the stutter went away just like that!  He then shared his war
experiences with her - the servicemember was wounded in Iraq.

Anyway, the Diabetes instructor happens to have been a friend of mine for
years.  She also knows several of the other guide dog users in the San Diego
area who already had a program with the local blind center where we bring
our dogs to an outdoor, fenced in dog park to allow the guide dogs play time
together.  We had exclusive use of one of the fenced in areas for two hours
once a month.  The friend of mine worked with us and her chain of command at
the hospital and permission was granted to bring several wounded
servicemembers to the park to play with our dogs - and Paws That Heal was
born.  We also have a portion of the program where we go to the locked
mental health ward to work with the servicemembers with PTSD and depression.
More great stuff happened as well.

I do have a flyer for the program but it is in a PDF file and turned
sideways - don't know if a screen reader can desipher it!

The program manager has written to Marion Gwizdala and he in turn had her
contact Mike Hingson about the program. We are looking for some new teams to
work with us who live in the San Diego area.  The Paws program happens three
times a month at the hospital so we need people who can get there, can
commit the time, and pass the interviewing process - both human and dog.

I forgot, where do you live?

HTH

Linda and Landon