[nagdu] collar question

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Fri Feb 13 18:30:16 UTC 2009

Hi Martha,
I have both the Gentle Leader and the martingale collar made by the same
company.  I also have the chain collar I got at the school.

I think all the schools train with the chain collar.  So, for me, the chain
collar works best with Landon. I add the Gentle Leader when I need better
control of his head like in the grocery store and he has a wandering nose!
I use the martingale collar for when we do our Humane Society visits - they
frown on chain collars.  They use the non collar correction style of
training.  This is done with the clicker and treats.  Guide dog schools
still use the verbal praise and collar leash corrections.  However, they
realize that my dog was trained with the chain collar and I need to have it
on him.  We've compromised - I keep the chain collar on him so he has his
tags on but have the leash attached to the martingale collar.  I keep that
collar with his P-AT Therapy Dog vest.

What is your dog like?  My last dog, Jacob, did just fine in the martingale
collar after several years and he calmed down.  Landon isn't there yet
(grin!).  I need the extra control of the chain collar.  Martingale collars
are best on very mellow dogs.  They work well on very sensitive dogs who
cringe with the sound of the chain collar.

The three devices are good if used properly.

HTH

Linda and Landon