[nagdu] Dog Therapy and Paws that Heal

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Mon Feb 16 18:57:13 UTC 2009

Hi Lora,
I went to Guide Dog Foundation, Guide Dogs of America (when it was
International Guiding Eyes), Eye Dog Foundation, and Seeing Eye.

Guide Dog Foundation was a good school. I went there when John Byfield was
Director of Training there.  GDA is good, Eye Dog Foundation was not very
good.  Why I didn't go back to GDF or GDA is the fact they have contracts
and I found them kind of paternalistic.  I found that the contract can come
back to bite you even after you retire a dog!  This happened at GDA.
Because they thought I broke the contract after I didn't even have the dog
anymore, I was turned down for another dog.  It's like you have to euthanize
the dog in order to never violate the contract.

Basically, I retired the dog with a friend who had a dog from GDA herself. I
intended the dog to be her husband's pet.  They moved out of state.  While
there, the friend gave up her dog but kept the harness.  When retiring my
dog, I mailed the harness back to the school. She began to use my retired
dog with her harness she never sent back.  GDA and I found out about this
when the family moved back here and the lady was seen on the bus with my old
dog in harness.  GDA's Director of Training came to see for himself and he
spoke to both me and the lady.  He then seemed to be OK with that and took
the harness back from the lady.

All was well - so I thought - until I applied to GDA about a year later
after I had to give up my Eye Dog Foudation dog after a back injury.  I was
medically cleared to get another dog and wanted to return to GDA.  I also
applied to GDB.  I was turned down by both schools. I was turned down
because they said I violated the contract by "giving someone else my dog and
a harness to work her with"!  I never did that.  What happened was totally
out of my control as I didn't own the dog anymore and I also explained that
to GDA!

So, you are held to that contract even if you retire the dog to a friend. I
wanted no more of that so I applied to and obtained my next dog from Seeing
Eye.  They have no such contract.  They never had one and, I hope, never
will have one!

When I was refused a new dog from GDA, I felt betrayed by thinking the issue
was over when they took their harness back from the woman.  So, it all came
back to bite me in the end. That's OK, I'll never go to any other school
other than Seeing Eye!.

I was refused by Guide Dogs for the Blind because they believed the story
from GDA.  They never asked me about what really happened with that.  That
didn't give me a very high opinion of them.

With that, both GDA and GDB do a good job as far as their training goes and
the quality of their dogs.  But, for me, Seeing Eye is the best!

Linda and Landon