[nagdu] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind's guidedog policydoes notdiscriminate

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 20 19:47:40 UTC 2009

Nicole,
    Not only do some guide dog schools not require O&M skills - though all
claim to do so, not all O&M training is alike. When I was trained in 1983, I
was placed under sleep shades during my entire training. As a final exam, I
was driven around West Palm Beach and dropped off without being told where I
was. I was told to meet my instructor back at the center.
    I know guide dog users who have never had a bit of cane travel
instruction and their guide work shows it.
    I feel I am as independent and mobile with my cane as I am with my dog.
In fact, I currently use my cane more than 80% of the time, as my dog is
semi-retired. It is my contention that we must have good cane travel skills
before obtaining a guide dog and should maintain those skills. There are
times when the guide dog is not a good choice for mobility, such as going to
a concert, going fishing on a crowded boat, roller skating, and visiting
someone's home who does not want a dog in their residence. BTW, I am not one
to contend that, if a person does not want my dog in their home they are
rejecting me, too! I would rather have the option of going without my dog
than not having a full life with all that means for me.
    No one would object to going to a guide dog school and being asked to
not use their cane for a time in order to learn good guide dog skills. Why
is it different to go to a center that is teaching cane travel skill and
expect to use your dog?
    I would also like to say to those who assert that the NFB training
centers are anti dog that I know two guide dog users who are currently at
the louisianna Center for the blind with their guide dogs. They are not
being treated less favorably nor have they told me that the staff exhibits
any negative attitudes toward them for their choice of a guide dog for
mobility.

fraternally,
Marion Gwizdala