[nagdu] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind's guide dogpolicydoes notdiscriminate

Angie Matney leadinglabbie at mpmail.net
Fri Feb 20 21:02:58 UTC 2009

We don't know all the facts behind the verdict. If, for example, she was denied the opportunity to use her dog at all during her program, I would say that the jury made a bad decision, and I would hope the verdict would be reversed on appeal. If, on
the other hand, she was denied the opportunity to use her dog during cane-travel courses, I can be a bit more sympathetic to the Iowa Department's position. Still, I really don't see why guide dog use during mobility training at centers must be an all
or nothing deal. I think the NFB really should consider ways to incorporate *some* guide-dog use into O&A training, and that would include *some* guide-dog use during travel courses. The current system does not accurately reflect the reality of the
lives of many potential center students.

Best,

Angie