[nagdu] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind's guidedog policy does not discriminate

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Sat Feb 21 00:01:19 UTC 2009

margo! Ithink you're right on! I could not agree more! I've been
avoiding takingtraining at the NFB centers because I'mn
willingffsacrifice the use of mydogddI like the structured
discovery method of teaching that the centers use, but they
should maketheir programs more individualized.  If I use a dog,
it's likely I would not want to receive o and m training with the
cane.  Since I've received approximately 22 years of it andonly 4
years with my guide.  A college is individualized- yeseay hfftake
certain classes in order to obtain a particularmajor, but you can
choose the major.
Just mzopinion.
Hope and Beignet

Users"<nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:59:09 -0500
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] Jury finds IA Dept.  for Blind's guidedog
policy	does	not discriminate

>But, one must take each person as an individual.  if a person
already  is
>willing to use a cane and it's noted that he or she uses the cane
and he or
>she can also use a guide dog, then he or she should use the guide
dog if
>that is her or his preferred method of travel.

>I think our centers would do well to be more flexible and not try
to mold
>everyone into one mold.

>margo and Elmo
Users"
> [...]

>> from school.  You don't just become a psychologist, or a lawyer
in a short
>> period of time.  You had to work at it and practice it, and do
it often
>> like learning to ride a bike or play an instrument.  The more
you did it
>> the better you got at it right?
>> It is the same with learning to do anything even to use a cane
or a guide
>> dog.  When you are learning to use a cane you might stubble on
an uneven
>> surface or miss a step but I'll bet you just learned how not to
do it
>> again! You notice the differences in the sound that your cane
makes and
>> you start being more careful paying attention to traffic sounds
as you
>> approach the corner.  When you use a dog and skip the cane
altogether you
>> figure oh my dog will take care of it and stop when I get to the
corner so
>> I don't need to think about it right?  You don't give yourself
the chance
>> to develop your own awareness to the environment.  You learned
to be
>> overly dependent on your dog, not working as a team, and putting
way too
>> much pressure and stress on the dog.  When you miss that step
you don't
>> take responsibility for it being your own mistake, no you
correct the dog
>> and blame it on him or her!  By skipping the learning to use a
cane step
>> you are cheating yourself and being unfare to the dog.
>> When you get a dog for the first time you didn't all of a sudden
know how
>> to do it perfectly, in fact it takes several weeks of training
and then
>> sometimes months after that to feel comfortable and trust in
your dog, but
>> it still took a lot of hard work to accomplish that goal.

>> Now the use of sleep shades is a whole other issue.  Like I said
before
>> you are eliminating the confusion of poor vision and tuning into
your
>> other senses.  If someone has residual vision I can't tell you
how many
>> times I have thought I knew what I was seeing only to find out
it wasn't
>> at all what I thought it was.  Is that a pot hole or just a dark
patch of
>> blacktop coming up?  Is that door open or is it a glass door
that is
>> closed.  How long am I going to feel around looking for the door
handle or
>> visually find the door bell.  Once you start learning to do
these kinds of
>> things without the help of poor vision it becomes much simpler.
I think
>> this is probably hard for a congenitally blind person to
understand
>> because it has simply never been in their experience.  I have
never been
>> trained or used sleep shades and I don't think I would ever like
to.  What
>> I have done many times is closed my eyes and trusted my other
senses to
>> figure something out.  That is a hard thing to do, and most of
us would
>> not want to or perhaps even be able to do it voluntarily.  Most
of us
>> blind and visually impaired folks have simply never gotten
adequate
>> mobility training.  There is a shortage of mobility instructors
and there
>> is neither the time or money to give mobility the time it
deserves.
>> Somehow some of us get good at it on our own or perhaps got
lucky and did
>> have a good mobility instructor who was able to teach something
and
>> managed to somehow give you the confidence to transfer those
skills to
>> other situations, but many times that just doesn't happen for
lots of
>> reasons.  OK let me know how well I have explained it or how
much I've
>> screwed up! (grin)
>> Julie Phillipson
Users"
>> <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>> Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:56 PM
>> Subject: Re: [nagdu] Jury finds IA Dept.  for Blind's guide dog
policy does
>> not discriminate

>>> Would someone please explain this nonstandard use of the term
"visual
>>> aid" to me? My dog is not a powerpoint presentation.

>>> Thanks,

>>> Angie

info for
>>> nagdu: