[nagdu] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind'sguidedog policy does notdiscriminate

Alysha anjeans at att.net
Sat Feb 21 01:07:44 UTC 2009

As others have mentioned in their posts, I think we need to consider that
much more than just cane travel is offered at training centers. So say
there's a guide dog user who is comfortable with mobility but who needs some
work on cooking or technology or braille. Then, there doesn't seem to be a
program out there this person could attend to learn the necessary skills
without risking damage to their relationship with their dog. I do think that
cane travel is quite important and that all guide dog users should be
comfortable with it, but it seems like all the training centers I've heard
about mandate it as the only means of mobility to be used during the time
one is there. So I suppose I'm wondering why there are no programs (that I
know of) that accommodate the potential needs of guide dog users instead of
expecting them to essentially temporarily give up their chosen mobility aid.
The important thing is that we can get around independently, not whether we
do so with a dog or a cane. Why is it that people seem to link mobility
classes only with cane travel? I think a guide dog user could still benefit
from mobility lessons that aren't focused on the training of the dog. The
problem solving and orientation skills taught in good mobility programs are
useful to you no matter what mobility aid you use. So I think it is fair for
a program to demand competency with a cane, but I do not think that it is
right to restrict the choices of guide dog users to either doing without
training in the myriad of skills taught at centers or giving up the use of
their dogs for a significant fraction of the day.

Alysha