[nagdu] Jury finds IA Dept.forBlind'sguidedog policy does not discriminate

melissa Green graduate56 at juno.com
Sat Feb 21 09:46:53 UTC 2009

Hello all.
Here is my final comment on this issue.  I don't want to continue to beat
the dead horse any more.
In my opinion, this woman obviously thought that there was something about
the training in Iowa to go through it once.  I don't know why she felt the
need to do it again.
Until the late 90's only one nfb center accepted guide dog users.  That was
here in colorado.  I could be wrong but I believe this to be true.  I am
sure someone will correct me.
Anyway, after the informed choice ressollution was past things changed
regarding guide dog users.  This ressollution also added to the battle
between ACb and NFb.  Which in unfortunate because both organization can try
to work together on some of these issues.  In fact this idea has been
recommended on this list.  I think that Nagdu, and GDui have the same goal,
which is to assist guide dog users.  That is what I have been told anyway.
However, the aCB NFB feud that is a strong pressence in all divisions of
each organization is another soap box issue for  another time.
To ind my Soap box issue about this verdict.  This woman used her right to
informed choice.  She sued and lost.  We will never know why she  made the
choices that she did.  But the fact is she used the right to informed
choice.  If others don't want to go to a center with NFb philosophy.  Then
they can use their right to informed choice and go to a state run rehab
training program.  This way there will be no confusion about leaving the dog
at home and so on.
Melissa R. Green

A cane user, and future guide dog user
Someone's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.