[nagdu] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind'sguidedog policy does notdiscriminate

Marsha queen.marsha.lindsey at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 23:54:31 UTC 2009

Buddy and all,
I am not by any means saying that the centers immersion model theory is not
effective nor that a part of the immersion model is to teach cane travel. I
do agree that it works. But in the context I was more speaking about was on
a more general level. A level that say you have been through a center, or
for me never been through a center, and who we are okay with our blindness,
we have been through all those things that we must deal with on the road to
acceptens. I agree that our centers should use a rigid cane while a student
is learning whether that be for travel or for self image. But after that is
all said and done, then a person is due that choice. I do have a opinion on
centers and the whole acceptances thing, in the respect that, for some going
to a center is what helps them accept it, but for others it is going to take
other more intensive methods. The NFB has it right when it comes to helping
a person learn the blindness skills they need, by putting mentors and
mentees together, but for others that self image, that self esteem is
something that has to come with in them. Just as there are strong or not so
strong people in the world, we come to that confidence, to that positivity
in a different ways than others. I don't know if I have made any sense what
so ever. I do agree with you on the matters when it comes to the guides.
Marsha