[nagdu] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind'sguidedog policy does notdiscriminate

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sun Feb 22 00:15:58 UTC 2009

Hi Marsha,

Yes, we are in substantial agreement here. And you're right on all
counts. Any teaching method or course of instruction, no matter how
good, can only be effective if the student is willing to benefit from
it. If the student resists the learning, he won't absorb the lessons
being taught, no matter how effective those lessons are. Or anyway, he
won't absorb them as fully as if he opened himself to the teaching. Of
course, our centers or methods aren't a magic bullet, and going
through the training won't "fix" you just because they're effective.
If you don't want what we are teaching, you won't fully benefit, and
I've seen people go through the centers who have gotten nothing from
the experience--or, anyway haven't benefited as fully as they might. I
really think this is an important thing for us to keep in mind,
certainly as important as any of the other things we've discussed here.