[nagdu] another perspective

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Sun Feb 22 20:18:20 UTC 2009

I have the interesting experience of being told by several staff at the
Louisiana Center for the Blind that it might be a good idea for me to
get a guide dog. Indeed, one of the staff actually said that if he were
in my situation he would get a guide dog. As well as being legally
blind, I am partially deaf. I struggled to listen to traffic during cane
travel classes at LCB when I was required to wear sleepshades. Too often
there was a car coming that I could not hear. Outside of classes I could
use the little vision I have in combination with my hearing to help me
get across streets. I do much better when I am allowed to use this
vision, but it's still not perfect, not as safe as it could be. Some
intersections are too large for me to either see or hear the cars on the
other side. So, many of the staff at the NFB center felt that I might be
safer crossing streets with a guide dog.

I can't say what the staff at LCB would have done if I had come to the
center with a guide dog. However, I do know that they consider each
student's individual case to see if they need to make reasonable
adjustments to the program for that student, or if the program is even
appropriate for that student.

Haben