[nagdu] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind's guidedogpolicydoesnotdiscriminate

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 24 20:37:17 UTC 2009

Hi, Sherri and all.

Another component to this issue is that many colleges offer continuing
education classes for people who maybe want to learn computers or cooking or
some type of craft.

Why can't the NFB centers offer this type of training?  Why is it all or
nothing?  In these cases, what's wrong with the person bringing their dog to
a Braille or computer class?  How is the presence of a dog in these classes
negatively impacting how a person learns Braille or computers?

I'm sorry, I just don't get the connection between the NFB cane and
adjustment to blindness.  One doesn't automatically imply the other, and
this idea that one isn't fully adjusted to blindness until they've been
immersed in the NFB philosophy is insulting to me.  I am more than just a
blind person.  And my blindness is defined by much more than how I choose to
travel.  No one has the right to make assumptions about anyone's adjustment
to blindness based on which travel method they use as long as the person is
getting from point A to point B safely.

Honestly, I find this knee-jerk reaction that some NFB folks, most notably ,
the ones in leadership positions have toward those of us using a dog or
questioning why a dog can't be integrated into an NFB center disturbing on
so many levels.  If it were a sighted person making these pronouncements,
they would be called custodial.  But have a person in a leadership capacity
make the same statement and it becomes something that's not really up for
debate.  Or when it is up for debate, those of us questioning it are told
once more that we just don't get it.

What is there to get?  The leadership has shown repeatedly that they don't
understand working with a dog.  This is the fundamental problem here, IMO.
One uses orientation skills whether or not one is using a cane or dog.  In
fact, I'd say that orientation, using ambient and traffic noise, the
position of the sun, etc., are more important when using a dog.  I've known
hard line cane users who become disoriented if their cane doesn't make
contact with a light pole or trash can when they think it should.  So how is
this a good example of cane use?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one in the leadership, with the exception of
Fred Schroeder, has done any research into the fundamental differences and
similarities between cane and dog travel.  If they had, they couldn't imply
that using a dog is like sighted guide.  It isn't, and we know it isn't.
And yet, this misperception is allowed to color their NFB center policies
and has for as long as I can remember.

I've been to three national conventions and seven state conventions in two
different states and the national reps always have at least one sighted
companion.  Why?  If anyone questions those in leadership about their
reasoning for sighted guide, that old speech about the Nature of
Independence is trotted out to justify why so many leaders use sighted
companions at state and national conventions.

Wouldn't it be more in line with the NFB philosophy to travel to a state
convention independently and use a cane, along with a cell phone or laptop
to keep in touch with national headquarters  and family?  this is how the
rest of us do it, except some of us use dogs rather than canes.

It's almost like some people view going sighted guide as some kind of badge
of honor.  If you've gone through an NFB training center and have presumably
adjusted to your blindness, it's now Okay to use sighted guide to get around
so you can get to meetings on time.

This is exactly the type of hypocrisy that has caused so many of us to leave
the NFB or at least to not participate as actively as we would like.  Why
should I want to stay in an organization where my attitude toward blindness
and the NFB is being called into question simply because I use a dog or I
don't automatically accept a policy.

We shouldn't have to experience this type of discord in an organization who
claims to represent America's blind.  There are so many issues that are more
crucial for us to tackle.  Instead, we're expending energy trying to make
our elected leaders accept us.  I have skills and talents I can put to use
in organizations who actually see me as a whole person rather than someone
that needs improvement simply because I don't use a cane as my primary mode
of travel.

I have many more thoughts on this issue, but those are it in a nut shell.

And now, I and my dog, which I own, by the way, are going for a brisk walk.

Lisa

Lisa Belville
Attention:  I have a new Email address:
missktlab1217 at verizon.net