[nagdu] NAGDU and NFB centers

Marsha queen.marsha.lindsey at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 21:09:26 UTC 2009

All,
I think that what the board wants to have the panel for is, that we invite
all the centers, hopefully the Iowa center as well. Have them present but
that we open the forum so that questions can be asked. I know that the
centers are not against guide dogs, as at both centers there are guide dog
teams there now. But it be more opened to them expressing there wants, there
desire to have guide dog teams come to the centers. I do agree that people
need to have cane travel before getting a dog, but some schools do not
require this of their students before hand, we can not as NAGDU change that.
Things have changed in the NFB over the years and despite the negative
thoughts a lot of people have about dogs and the NFB, some of that was
members, some people just do not like dogs, some of was leadership that has
changed now. We are making a change for the better. We are not the second
class citizens that we once were. I do wish that everyone would get it out
of there head that the NFB does not like guide dogs. It is our own members
that hurt us the most. I meet NFB members all the time, who say "your in the
NFB and have a dog?" I say "absolutely". So it is not only educating our
members but the public too. We want the centers to come to convention to
tell how it is for a guide dog handler to come to there school, where the
dog would go during the day, what there training would be, what they would
be offered. To finally show people that the centers are not against guide
dog users. It is not always going to be exactly what everyone wants, so you
can't use yrou dog during the day, because you are attending a NFB center,
and one of the things that is included in the training is cane travel. So
use yrou dog at night or on the weekends. Like others who are on this list,
who are at the centers, there dogs are well taken care while they are there.
It is not going to be a debate, it is a panel of center staff, that can
answer questions, to finally put this issue to rest. So if this sounds
interesting please join us!
marsha

database 3886 (20090224) __________

http://www.eset.com