[nagdu] question

Angie Matney leadinglabbie at mpmail.net
Thu Feb 26 01:09:05 UTC 2009

Hi Rebecca,

>Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Seeing Eye used to have a
>requirement that a person getting had to work (presumably outside the
>home) and that they had to get to work without using sighted assistance?

As far as I know, this has never been a requirement. The school expects that the graduate will be able to provide the dog with meaningful work opportunities. A very early class (held in Burkeley, before The Seeing Eye moved to Morristown) had
among its students a homemaker (who did not graduate for other reasons) and a retired veteran. That class also had five women and two men.

>I also wonder if Moris's guides were true loosers, or if he made more of
>it due to his need (and it is a good need0 to promote the Seeing Eye?
>Seeing Eye was his business after all.

Actually, those incidents happened before TSE was founded. That was why he wrote to Mrs. Eustace, asking her to train a dog for him.

If anyone is interested in this stuff, I highly recommend Love in the Lead. I'm pretty sure it's on Bookshare. It's definitely on NLS. There used to be a link to it on The Seeing Eye's web site, but I don't know if it's still there. Actually, there were a lot of
books on the web site at one time, but I'm wondering if they are still there in light of copyright concerns.

Angie