[nagdu] another question for those of you that have pet dogs

Merry Schoch merrys at verizon.net
Thu Feb 26 20:25:38 UTC 2009

Hi Lisa,

I have always had at least one dog (pet) in the home while having a guide
dog.  Since the guide dog is not working while in the home, my pet(s) in the
home had no distraction effect on the guide dog.  However, it may be
possible that if  your mother was outside with the pet and you were walking
home and your guide saw the pet it might be distracting, but if your mother
was outside without the pet she may be a distraction as well.

It most assuredly depends on the bond you and your guide has as well as how
easily distracted your guide is.
My first guide dog was intense and extremely focused.  My second dog was not
as intense, but I could tell through his body language i.e. pull, pace, etc.
if he was getting distracted.  When this happened, I just get him back to
where I wanted his focus to be.

Pets, especially, another dog can be a great stress reliever for your
guide - well that is if they get along.

Merry