[nagdu] Food and training

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Feb 28 14:38:53 UTC 2009

Hi Mary.
I too have been suspicious of using food during training, despite all the
success stories I've heard.  However, I may change my mind.  A friend of
mine has a good bit of experience with clicker training, and she has been
advising me how to use it to help correct Ben's tendency to sniff a lot.
As you may know, clicker training involves a click and a treat.  I've only
tried it a bit, but it does seem to be helping.  I wouldn't have minded
learning more about it in class.  If I can get Ben to stop sniffing
without constantly yanking on him, that will be a wonderful thing for both
of us.
My brother recently attended GDB and learned the clicker training, but he
doesn't use it at all.  So it's like the rest of class--learn all you can,
and then use the parts that work well or make sense for you.
Just some thoughts from another old-fashioned food skeptic.
Tracy