[nagdu] statement re: ownership and qeustions re: schools policies

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 16:38:44 UTC 2009

Hi Merry,

I am so glad you were able to make the decision about your last dog.
It sounds like it was heartbreaking, though.

As for using food with my dog in training, I have been using clicker
training exclusively now for about five and a half years.  My current
guide, Laveau, a Doberman, has been trained exclusively with the
clicker  and food.

I first teach a concept called Zen.  Zen basically means that the dog
must give up whatever she wants to get whatever it is that she wants.
So if I'm holding out a big juicy steak in my hand, the best way for
my dog to get said steak is to lay down and ignore it.  I teach Zen in
all kinds of situations, with all kinds of distractions.  She is no
more or less food distracted than a traditionally trained dog.  I do
wear food in a treat pouch on the waste of my pants and she ignores
it, and doesn't try to do drive by snacking.

I think food is a wonderful motivator, but the dog needs to understand
the ground rules around food and what behaviors will earn food and
which will not.

I don't have any problems with her in cafes or the like; she ignores
the food, goes under our table and just sleeps.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Rox and Laveau