[nagdu] in regards to the article of the person on NPR

Julie J. jlcrane at alltel.net
Sat Jan 3 17:42:32 UTC 2009

Marsha,

I don't think the article was trying to make the point that these other
types of animals are better at performing certain tasks than dogs. I think
the author was trying to make the point that there are many types of animals
that can be used to perform many types of tasks.  Ann, the guide horse user
from the article, is on this list.  I'm sure she will agree that there are
both benefits and drawbacks to using a guide horse, just as we all agree
that there are benefits and drawbacks to using a guide dog.  The same things
could be said about using a white cane too.  To me it's all about finding
what works for you and having the freedom to utilize that option.

The argument that an individual with a psychiatric disability could use some
device to mitigate their disability could also be applied to blind people.
We could all use white canes.  Sure that isn't what we guide dog users want
to do,  however it is irrefutable that many, many blind people travel quite
safely and effectively with only a white cane.  I don't see how folks with
other types of disabilities should be limited in their choices if we are not
subject to the same limitations of choice.

Then there is the topic of who exactly is disabled.  I think that is the
real problem.  Too many people think that because they have anxiety going to
new places or stress meeting new people or any manner of other issues that
they are disabled and therefore qualify to use a service animal.  The ADA
defines disability as a limitation of a major life activity.  Examples given
are seeing, hearing, walking...  But is a fear of going outside a major life
function?  I don't know.  That has been left up to the courts to decide.
Most service animal related court cases that I know of were lost on the
basis that the person was not disabled and therefore not entitled the use of
a service animal in the first place.

JMHO
Julie