[nagdu] in regards to the article of the person on NPR

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jan 3 18:58:47 UTC 2009

Thanks, Julie, for clarifying the issues for Marsha and perhaps others.
You're correct that I was not saying, and have never said, that a guide
horse is better than a guide dog in all ways and for all people.  I do think
that there are some ways in which a guide horse is better, at least for me.
And the article in the NY Times Magazine upon which the NPR Interview was
based did state some of the advantages and disadvantages as well of
miniature horse guides.

Marsha is correct that the things that impressed the writer of the article
are not things that can be done exclusively by miniature horse guides.  But
I do not have control of the writer's mind.  I was asked to show her how
Panda and I work, and that is what I did.  What the author sees and writes
is her own perspective.  She gathered information from many sources besides
myself, and she organized and arranged the information as she saw fit.

I believe that the writer needed to do more observation and look much more
closely to try to evaluate whether the other animals mentioned in the
article were serving as service animals, and whether it was good for the
animals or society to have these animals in public places.  Her doubts can
be found in a careful reading of the NY Times article.  But as she said, she
had no doubts that Panda was doing a legitimate job as a guide animal, and
she was very impressed by Panda's work and her evident joy and enthusiasm
for her work.

I do think Panda does as good a job of guiding as the best of guide dogs,
but that is my personal opinion, based on my experience.  And it is
indisputable that the life spans of horses are at least twice those of dogs,
on average.  So I can expect Panda to be working well into her twenties, at
the least.  I have a 31-year-old Arabian horse who is still eager to come
out and work every day, although he is not a guide horse, but a riding
horse.

As to whether psychiatric disabilities qualify as legitimate disabilities
under the ADA, I think that bipolar disorder with psychotic tendencies
(which the man with the parrot has) and agorophobia (which the woman with
the monkey has) certainly can and do limit many basic life functions, like
working, socializing with others, being able to go out and perform tasks
like shopping, banking, etc., and simply functioning safely in society.

As stated in the article, the final regulations have not been published yet.
So we are all waiting to see what the DOJ will decide in the end.  But I
think this article is the first to really lay out many of the issues
surrounding the proposed changes to the ADA regulations for the general
public.

Best,
Ann