[nagdu] NY Times Article on Non-Canine Service Animals

sblanjones11 sblanjones11 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 5 02:04:42 UTC 2009

Ann,
Thanks for sharing this article.  I think its author gives a fairly balanced
report, including arguments from several different viewpoints.
I personally am very disappointed with the species limitations proposed by
the DOJ.  After all, it wasn't so long ago that assistance dogs were not
tolerated in public, or allowed into public places.  We have yet to explore
what other animals can do to help disabled humans.
I do think that task training and behavior control are crucial
considerations to the accomodation of service animals, and there have to be
protections against people who fraudulently pretend their pets are service
animals.
JMHO.
Susan & Rhoda