[nagdu] dog guides and snow

AnnaLisa Anderson annalisa at sector14.net
Wed Jan 7 02:28:02 UTC 2009

Hi Lora,

Well, I would stay on the sidewalks if you can, even if they are not
shoveled well.  That's a lot safer than the busy road in my opinion.  I also
do pretty much what others have said they do in the snow.  Both my dogs from
Leader have been very good at somehow following the sidewalk even if it's
buried in snow.  As Julie said, I don't know if it's an outline they can see
or what, but they both have done well at it.  Being that Leader is in
Michigan, the dogs are trained in snow, usually lots of it, so they know how
to deal with it.  I hate walking along curbs packed with snow too.  I live
on a street that has no sidewalks along it for quite a ways.  I don't feel
safe walking there even in summer, because it is very narrow in places and
cars are allowed to park along one side.  Fortunately I don't have to walk
very far on it most of the time because I can take a shortcut to the bus
stop which is a block over, and I can cut across a couple of apartment
parking lots to get there and back.  But on the occasions when I do walk the
street, I'm always very cautious.  Sometimes we have to dive into the snow
if there are cars coming both ways passing us at the same time.  I got
clipped once by a car when I was walking along a similar street on my way
home from work one night after dark.  Ever since then, I've been over
cautious, even if it means diving into a snow bank not to get hit.

Good luck with this, I hope you can work out a safe route to school.

AnnaLisa and Sundance

Checked by AVG.
PM