[nagdu] dog guides and snow

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Tue Jan 6 01:51:59 UTC 2009

My dog and I attend University in Maine, so we deal with snow a
lot.  She was raised in Connecticut.  She'll follow the left hand
sow bank farthest from cars and is constantly watching for them.
She won't bring me out into the middle of the road.  If anything,
she'll bring me away from the cars around the snow banks.  The
University grounds aren't really cleared very well, so it's a
trick, unfortunately, because I'm totally blind.  As long as nr
dog is keeping you safe, that's what counts.  Iwdn't recomend you
walk in the middle of the road though.  Are the sidewalks and
pathways cleared where you are, Lora?
Take care! I hope your training follow comp was successful with
Myrtle.
Hope and Beignet

Users" <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 16:57:51 -0800
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] dog guides and snow

>Hi Lora,
>I guess your dog is doing OK in the snow as long as you are the
dog keeps
>you safe when you have to travel in the road.  I remember, when I
lived in
>Boston, doing that with a white cane and it was snowing bad when
I was
>coming home from work.  All of a sudden, a hand grabbed me and
brought me to
>safety.  Unbeknownst to me, I was walking up the middle of the
road!!  Thank
>god I wasn't hit by a car!  The blownig snow and wind disoriented
me.

>I haven't travelled with a guide dog in the snow for almost 21
years now -
>I'll find out about it when I move to Vermont later this year!

>Linda and Landon
National
>Association of Guide Dog Users" <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 2:44 PM
>Subject: [nagdu] dog guides and snow

>> What in the world are guide dogs supposed to do in the snow? My
dog
>> follows
>> a fence if she can and if she can't she takes me out into the
middle of
>> the
>> road where is has been plowed and follow the snow bank.  If
there is a
>> sidewalk that she can see she follows it.  My dog really doesn't
know how
>> treat snow and neither do I.  When I go back to school I can't
have her in
>> the middle of the road trying to follow the snowbank shoulder
that is out
>> far into the road.  Is my dog doing the right thing?

>> --
>> Lora and Leader Dog Myrtle
info for
>> nagdu: