[nagdu] dog guides and snow

RELTON30857 at COX.NET RELTON30857 at COX.NET
Wed Jan 7 16:11:06 UTC 2009

Yes, Myrtle is walking in a safe place for you and her. That's where the
other pedestrians will be walking. It's similar to the situation of
construction. If you can't walk through it you have to go around it. As long
as you and she are walking along the curb, i.e. as far over as you can, and
you are doing it safely, that's what you need to do.

Joy Relton and Belle Seeing Eye grads

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Lora and Myrtle
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 5:45 PM
To: guidedog-friends at yahoogroups.com; NAGDU Mailing List,the National
Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: [nagdu] dog guides and snow

What in the world are guide dogs supposed to do in the snow? My dog follows
a fence if she can and if she can't she takes me out into the middle of the
road where is has been plowed and follow the snow bank. If there is a
sidewalk that she can see she follows it. My dog really doesn't know how to
treat snow and neither do I. When I go back to school I can't have her in
the middle of the road trying to follow the snowbank shoulder that is out
far into the road. Is my dog doing the right thing?

--