[nagdu] dog guides and snow

JULIE PHILLIPSON jbrew48 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 6 17:16:34 UTC 2009

that's pretty much what I do too but I rarely will go into the street
because it is a very busy highway but there is always a path where others
have walked.  Its not wide enough for both of us so I do the same as Tracy
where I have to.  When it comes to the curb or the corner and there is a
snow bank, well we have to go over it.  It has always taken a little bit of
training with each of my dogs to let them know that is what I wanted to do
but they have always picked it up quickly.  Most of the time the problem is
more of ice on the walk and we go around that if possible if not I slide  my
feet across it rather than try to walk normally, works much better!
Yesterday we hit a patch of ice all across the walk and I fell, Brewster
just stood there and I thought he was laughing at me!  Coming home later he
very certainly took me around it until we were past it and then went back to
the walk.  There have been times when we have both fallen then I am laughing
at him! He has four feet after all.
Lora it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to use your cane and show your dog
what you want to do. because she is trained to avoid obstacles and she sees
the snow bank as an obstacle, so you need to show her its OK to go over it.
Julie Phillipson