[nagdu] Fw: Breaking News About DOJ Changes

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jan 8 07:33:23 UTC 2009

Hi, Angie,

Evidently, between the Proposed  rules and the Final rules, perhaps based on
feedback from the public during the comment period,   the DOJ changed the
wording to "dogs" only rather than "dogs and other common domestic animals".
In my opinion, this was actually a clarification, since I have no idea what
animals they wished to include in "other common domestic animals"--cats,
most likely, and birds?--they certainly live in people's houses, and perhaps
fish?--they also live with people.  The only animals that we knew were
excluded were those specifically mentioned as excluded:  primates, rodents,
reptiles, farots, horses, ponies, miniature horses, goats, pigs....

At least now we know that only dogs will be allowed under the definition of
"service animals".  However, the statements about miniature horses in the
Final regulations are still very confusing to me.  If miniature horses
cannot be considered service animals, then why do business owners have to
make accommodations to allow people with disabilities to access public
places accompanied by trained miniature horses?  And if I have no legal
right of access with my miniature horse guide, then how can I continue to
travel freely and have access to public accommodations when I am accompanied
by my miniature horse guide?

Perhaps you and the other legal minds on the list can unravel the DOJ
language and logic for us.

Best,
Ann