[nagdu] guide dogs and loud music

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Fri Jan 9 01:52:24 UTC 2009

Hi all.  I would really like to take her to my gigs, but think
I'll continue leaving her home.  She howled the last time I took
her.  Don't know if she by liking the music or not, but will
leave her home.  Am perfectly willing to travel with a cane
during these occasions rather than potentially damaging her
hearing.

Users" <nagdu at nfbnet.org

wrote:

>> I agree with Sarah, it has always been my practice to leave my
guides at
>> home when going to any loud events including concerts, anywhere
with live
>> music, amusement parks, etc.  I realize this is a very personal
decision and
>> like most of you I'd rather by with my dog than with out but I
try to weigh
>> the risk and act accordingly.  I had friend who's dog was
panicked by a bad
>> speaker system once and went nuts and was petrified any time he
heard a loud
>> speaker of any kind.  This dog also had to be retired.  I hope
what ever
>> your decision you consider the comfort and well being of your
guide.  This
>> is simply my opinion.

>> Rena A.  Seay  Educational Talent Search   (325)677-1444 x.
3105
>> ras98r at yahoo.com

>> --- On Thu, 1/8/09, sarah baebler <wolvessarah at hotmail.com>
wrote:
>> From: sarah baebler <wolvessarah at hotmail.com
>> Subject: Re: [nagdu] guide dogs and loud music
>> To: nagdu at nfbnet.org
>> Date: Thursday, January 8, 2009, 1:26 PM

>> Hi,
>> I've never used any mutmuffs and have always used my cane when
attending
>> concerts, loud events, and even bars that play music.  I just
want to
>> inform you
>> that dogs hear 5 times louder than us and I know some of those
places my
>> ears
>> even hurt, regardless of the type of music.  Look at the
studies, there are
>> plenty on humans with loud music and the damage it causes, well
if the dog
>> hears
>> five times as loud it must be worse for them.  If I can remember
the study
>> that
>> they did I will pass that along.  I even had a friend who's dog
went deaf
>> because she didn't want to leave him at home while she went to a
country
>> usa
>> concert and the dog lost a majority of his hearing she didn't
know and had
>> taken him to another concert as well.  She had to retire him
because of it.
>> Sarah and Dante

>>> From: chasityvanda at charter.net
>>> To: nagdu at nfbnet.org
>>> Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 15:40:40 -0600
>>> Subject: Re: [nagdu] guide dogs and loud music

>>> Hi,

>>> Where can you buy the mutmuffs? Would buying those make it more
possible
>>> take your dog to a concert, such as a country concert?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chasity
>>> Check out the tribute page I created for my guide dog Vanda at:
>>> www.myspace.com/vandaandchasity
>>> Listen to my radio show every Thursday from 4-7pm on the Q
Online:
>>> www.theqonline.net
>>> Visit my MySpace page and add me at
>>> www.myspace.com/chasityandvanda