[nagdu] Blind to Participate in National Day of Service

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Sat Jan 10 00:07:33 UTC 2009

Hey, Marion, this is great!  We do need to perform some service to our
communities.  We live NFB philosophy and we also show our general
communities that the blind can fully participate in our communities.

I've volunteered somewhere for the last 20 years in the San diego area.
I've been a craft aide for a teacher in nursing homes, help out at my church
with serving on the Church Council, serving coffee and donuts on Sundays
after church, play in our hand bell choir.

I also do Pet-Assisted Therapy with Landon at our Humane Society.  they told
me that I'm the first disabled person with a working service dog to do this.
They've had able-bodied people who are raising service and guide dog
puppies.  Landon and I go with another volunteer and we also bring two rats,
two guinea pigs, and one rabbit on visits to nursing homes, mental health
day care places.  Landon is a big hit!  He wears a vest from the Humane
Society and I take his harness off for the visits.  The people there learn
that I'm visually impaired and that Landon is my working Seeing Eye dog.

Landon and I are also part of the Paws That Heal program at the Naval
Medical Center of San Diego.  Marion, Anne our program manager has written
to you about this program.

I think as many Federationists should do some community service.  It is a
great way for people to get to know a blind person and we can use this
avenue to break down the barriers and attitudes of people.

Hope everyone has had happy holidays and a Happy New Year to all!

Linda and Landon