[nagdu] PETA opposes the use of guide dogs

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Tue Jan 13 20:00:16 UTC 2009

Hi Cari,
That's a great idea about contacting Channel 4 in LA.  I'm not local, but in
addition to the fact that our dogs don't come from a shelter for good
reason, I'd add WHY we don't like people to pet or interact with our dogs
when they are working.

Since the PETA in LA seems to have been involved in giving grief to the
guide dog using community there, contacting the media there would be a great
project for the LA chapter of NFB.

Here in San Diego, we don't have any real problem with PETA.  I've seen them
at our street fairs and they've seen me with my guide dog and the people at
the booth seem like reasonable people.  I think that PETA has worked on good
things like eradicating puppy mills and cruel farming methods for cattle and
chickens.  They do seem to have a wacko branch in their group that they
really need to address internally if they want to be taken seriously.  Here
we have wacko envirnmentalist groups who burn down condo complexes being
built like they did in La Jolla a few years ago - I think they're called
ALF.

I'm a volunteer at the San Diego Humane Society and on their application,
they have questions about our feelings on euthanesia.  The Society does not
euthanize unless it is absolutely necessary.  They try to weed out the PETA
types who try to infiltrate the group of volunteers to pull crap.  I haven't
heard of any PETA succeses in doing that.

Good luck!

Linda and Landon