[nagdu] Pooper Scooper Laws

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Fri Jan 16 18:26:23 UTC 2009

Wayne,
I was the originator of the pooper scooper thing. I didn't have a pocket to
put the poop into!  Ladies don't really want to do that as much as guys
won't mind doing that.

The primary issue here is that cops being clueless about blind people has
been exposed by this incident of my being cited for violation of the pooper
scooper law.  This issue has brought to light how clueless the San Diego
Police is when dealing with a blind person. About six months ago, a cane
using member of our blind community was out on an errand when a bike rider
ran over his white cane.  Now, this guy is an idiot and he began ranting and
raving and cussing.  From what I heard, some passersby called the police but
they didn't assist the blind guy.  The cop came and never did identify
himself to the blind guy as a police officer. The blind guy continued to be
out of control.  The cop asked this totally blind guy to identify the bike
rider!  Well this spun the blind guy into orbit and he REALLY got out of
control then.  The blind guy was clearly out of line and he does have a bad
anger management problem.  Many of us cringe when he's around because we
don't want to be painted with the same brush as he is - all blind people act
alike! - it's bad!

The point here is here are two blind people, within six months of each
other, who have had cops have no clue about that blind people generally
don't see like the cop sees.  The guy was to visually identify the bike
rider with totally blind eyes.  I was asked to gain normal sight to see for
myself where a trash can was.

The San Diego Police clearly aren't getting ANY disability or blindness
education in the Police Acadamy.  This needs to be changed.  What else are
they clueless on - a diabetic in an extreme high or low sugar episode?  A
deaf person who failed to hear the cop yell "Stop!"?  A person with epilepsy
having a seizure and the cop thinks he's just drunk or high on drugs?  The
cops need to know aboout these things because it could mean life or death
for the disabled person.

Linda and Landon