[nagdu] Fw: Emergency plane evacuation

Ladypurple222 at aol.com Ladypurple222 at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 14:04:19 UTC 2009

could I share this with my group as i have wondered about this  Norma  Jean
and Sir Willie

In a message dated 1/18/2009 8:11:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
relton30857 at cox.net writes:

Hi  all,

I was one of those who participated in the mock emergency exit  from the
plane in Baltimore some years ago. I believe that I was the only  one with a
dog guide. Here's how we did it and how the airline believed it  should work.
It worked fine. When you are instructed to proceed to the exit  you do that
much as you would board and disembark from a plane. We exited  from an exit
over the wing and took the slide down. When I came to the open  door and put
Zenith at sit at my side and sat on the floor on the door  frame and put my
feet over the edge pointing the way we were going to slide  then I sort of
half picked up and half coaxed him onto my lap and we slid  down the slide
together. The flight attendant did interfere and try to pull  me to do it
another way and I simply politely thanked him and said that I  had it under
control. That's what I would have done in real life.  Understanding that I
wasn't disrespecting the emergency procedure or the  personnel but simply
that I didn't need him to either grab my arm or the  dog because it wasn't
going to help me put the dog on my lap. The Hudson  river incident was
different however because they were unable to inflate  the slides and the
passengers were in fact on the wing proper. My husband  and I were talking
about the Hudson River incident this morning.  I  believe that I would have
teamed with other passengers and the personnel  just as they did. I believe
that it would have been better to do so because  finding the ship etc would
have been more difficult on my own. It must be  the dog guide user's
responsibility to handle the dogs as long as we are  able because we are
better able to do this. Basically, anyone in the  emergency situation has to
deal with the situation as it arises as best  they can. I believe that it is
helpful for me to have experienced the mock  situation so that I have an idea
of what it is like.

Joy and Belle,