[nagdu] winter questions

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 20 02:04:25 UTC 2009

Kolby,
    I cannot answer that question for you. I think it depends upon the
individual dog. My former guide dog was a Labrador Retriever who was born
and bred in Florida. When I traveled to michigan one winter, he absulutely
loved the cold weather and the snow. My current guide is a Shepherd Collie
mix and enjoys being out in the cold, but "cold" is relative. It is supposed
to get cold here tonight and for the next three nights. Keep in mind I am in
Florida, so "cold" means it will be about 38 degrees. Here I deal with a
different type of inclement weather. During the summer we get some pretty
wet days. On these days, even if I must go out in the rain, my dog does not,
so I leave her home.
    If your dog is uncomfortable, then it should be left home. Otherwise, it
may stop working because it no longer is enjoying the experience.
    We just read a piece about PETA claiming we abuse our dogs. Even though
their examples of abuse were completely off-base, would it be more accurate
to say that forcing a dog to work when it is extremely cold and the dog is
uncomfortable is abusive? I realize there may be extenuating circumstances,
so we need to do all we can to treat our guides humanely under these
conditions, which is what Martha is trying to find out. I hope some on this
list will have some recommendations for her.
    BTW, if it is absulutely necessary to take your dog out in the rain, one
good makeshift way to keep them dry is a trash bag with holes cut for the
head and front feet. Also, one of Julie's great nylon harnesses are an
essential piece of gear for wet conditions!

Fraternally,
Marion