[nagdu] Questions about Federal regs regarding paratransit

Charlene Ota caota at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Jan 22 04:27:57 UTC 2009

Several of us in Hawaii are having a problem with guide dogs on paratransit.
We've all notified the company and validated that the fact that we have
guide dogs is in our records and the reservationists see this at the time we
make reservations.  However, even so, we're having a problem if we make a
reservation when we are picked up we are at times given a hard time about
because we didn't tell the reservationists that we have a service dog. The
other day I was almost put out of a cab from one of the companies that
paratransit contracts with. When I pointed out to the reservationists that
it is in my record that I have a guide dog so why do I have to tell you
every time that I take him she kept arguing that it's assumed that if you
don't mention that you're taking the dog then you're not taking the dog. She
compared it to having a PCA. I tried to tell them that it's actually the
norm for me to have my guide dog with me, but this didn't matter to her.

So, my question is, can we be put off of paratransit if we don't
specifically mention our dog every time we make a reservation? Is a service
dog or guide dog comparable to a PCA? Personally, I think this is going too
far and it is verging on discrimination.  Also, one final question, are our
HIPA rights violated when our information is discussed over the air of the
radio or cell phone with the drivers?  To me, paratransit is public
transportation and I don't feel they have the right to do some of these
things. But, I need the Federal regs to do much about the situation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Charlene