[nagdu] interesting experience with Frontier Airlines

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at charter.net
Mon Jul 6 15:26:40 UTC 2009

hello all,

I wanted to relate an experience that I just had while confirming my upcoming flight to Denver on Wednesday.

I contacted the airline to notify them that I will be traveling with my Seeing Eye dog.

The person who took my call asked for the name and breed of my dog. I asked her why it was necessary to provide that information, as I have never been asked about that from other airlines.
She said it was part of the procedure. I told her that I was not required to give that information, and that the only requirement was that my dog was identified as a service animal by means of the harness, id card, etc.
However, out of curiosity, I answered the questions because I wanted to know specifically what was asked of service animal owners by Frontier Airlines.
I was asked to provide my dog's name,and then the reservationist wanted to know if my dog was a German shepherd. I said that the dog is a lab golden retriever cross.
So, I think my next step should entail calling Frontier's consumer affairs department to discuss this policy further, as i believe there could be potential discrimination against a dog handler, if for instance he/she uses a German shepherd.
What are thoughts from friends on list??

Thanks,and have a great day.

Liz and Seeing Eye dog Gabe