[nagdu] traveling at convention with a cane versus a dog

Cindy Ray cindyray at qwest.net
Sat Jul 11 00:15:57 UTC 2009

Melissa Ricobono sp. wrote an article a while back about whether or not to
take a dog to convention. Michelle Drole (sp) sent it to a Seeing Eye
list--the reunion one--and I found it very helpful. I, personally, came very
close to not taking my dog. I've had him seven months; he had had
clostridium, though he got a lean bill of health before I would bring him;
and I thought he seemed a little extra aggressive toward other dogs. When we
got to convention he was no more aggressive toward dogs than others I've
had. After a few ((two or three) days, I got him to go into the boxes. He
seemed pretty unflappable for his first convention, and I praised him a lot
for his work, and also praised him a lot after I had errantly corrected him.
He really had a blast and was as energetic the last day as the first. The
crowds; the less than good relieving opportunities, the poop on shoes, and I
could think of leaving him behind in the future. But things were much better
than they were a long, long time ago. I would still think long and hard
before taking a dog. I think that decision that must be made each year and
made carefully. I'll remember toys next timet hough as Fisher wanted to
steal toys from Rhoda when I visited Susan Jones' room. LOL.

Cindy Lou