[nagdu] New dog, ear infections, and the runs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Jul 15 13:58:48 UTC 2009

Lora, congratulations on your new dog!  Sensitive can be very nice.  My
Echo is a very sensitive gal.  I had to work sometimes not to over-correct
her, but it was great to have a dog who was easy to handle.

I have not had a dog with ear infections since 1986, and it's not due to
my diligence in ear cleaning; I only do it every 3 or 4 months.  I think
ear infections, and diarrhea, are connected to the food the dog eats.
Many dogs are allergic to corn and wheat, and some to chicken.  So, if I
got a dog having skin, ear, or digestive issues, I think I'd try lamb and
rice food first and see if that helped.
A few years ago, I switched to a premium dogfood.  I picked Canidae.  It's
more expensive than grocery store food, and has to be ordered, but the
ingredients are much higher quality.  My Echo is 14 now, and still in good
health.  Maybe that would be the same if she'd been eating Purina, but
then again, maybe not.
Echo also seems to have issues with dairy, so I have to avoid any food
with dairy in it.  No cottage cheese, or ice cream treats.  I don't know
if milk bones have actual milk in them, but they give Echo terrible runs.
I know Julie J just went through trying to find the right dog food for
Monte because of digestive troubles.  It can be confusing and complicated,
but the payoff is worth it.

Oh, when Echo was working, stress used to give her the runs.  For her,
travelling was stressful, at least for the first couple years.  Class is
stressful, and going home with a new person, too, maybe.  I just mention
it as a possibility.

Anyway, I hope you figure out what helps Tryce without too much trouble.
Best of luck with your new dog!
Tracy, Ben, and retired Echo